8 thoughts on “The Lithosphere

1. Dear Mr. Miller,
    After asking my sister, she told me that California experiences many earthquakes because it is at a transform boundary. This means that two plates, the North American Plate, and the Pacific plate slide past each other causing friction that makes earthquakes. It also forms faults. The fault found in California is the San Andreas Fault. She showed me a picture from a reference table that I found helpful.

Sincerely,
    Issac Varghese

2. Dear peers,

Today, I did some research on continental drift. Here are some of my findings.
    There are several plates floating across the surface of our earth. These plates make up the top layer of earth called lithosphere. There is another layer under this layer which is in a liquid state called molten rock. The core of the earth is very hot. Scientists says that the surface of the earth is cracked like a huge eggshell. They call these pieces as “tectonic plates.” As many as 20 such plates cover the Earth. They sometimes hit each other, and sometimes move away from each other. Because some continents are above two plates, the continents move when the plates do. This is called continental drift.

The movement of tectonic plates can cause earthquakes and volcanoes.

Please don’t forget to watch the video from our Mr. Miller’s blog.

Sincerely,
    Issac Varghese

1. Dear Issac,

Thank you for sharing your research. In an effort to apply what you have learned: Can you name the plate or plates that our continent sits upon ?

Sincerely,
      Mr. Miller

1. Dear Issac,

Thank you for your response. However, I am curious about California, which tends to experience a number of earthquakes each year. Through scientific inquiry, it has been determined that when plates converge the results can be earthquakes. Is it your estimation that the two plates you put forth in your answer are contributing to the earthquakes experienced in California ?

Sincerely,
          Mr. Miller

3. Dear Ohm Patel,
    I have found information on soil on the blog. Go to science scroll down and click Lithosphere. From the page you enter, scroll down until you see Rocks and Minerals, soil will be underneath.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony Jean-Baptiste

4. Dear Mr.Miller and classmates,
    I found the life cycle of a rock pretty interesting. The rock life cycle animation was cool because it showed you what all the steps of the rock life cycle looks like. I also found it interesting because it showed me real life pictures of sea cliffs, desert monuments, and more!
    Sincerely,
    Nick Barbieri

5. Dear Mr. Miller,
    I believe Pangaea is related to plate tectonics because plate tectonics are what made Pangaea break apart and diverge. I will not say too much because I feel that other people need to get on the blog more, so they can post details.
    Sincerely,
    Sam