Trout

Trout

Trout2

A Day in the Life

Trout Feeding

Ammonia

Stream Explorers

Anatomy of a River

Types of Trout

Trout Physiology (Anatomy

Understanding Trout Physiology: Internal Anatomy

Internal Trout (PDF)

Macroinvertebrate Gallery

Macroinvertebrate: Text

Brook Trout Taxonomy

What is Dissolved Oxygen? 

Learn What pH Stands For and How the Term Originated.

Meniscus

Water Chemistry 1-4

Trout-Life-Cycle

Trout diagram

Trout Life Stages Rainbow

Trout Presentation: pH

Shu Swamp

Shu Swamp: Overview

Shu Swamp Fact

169 Foot Tulip Tree: Possibly the Tallest in New York State.

Tulip Tree 167 Feet

Link:

Brainpop: pH

62 thoughts on “Trout

1. Dear trout team,
    Although we only have 1 or 2 trout left, I feel we should keep working hard to the best of our abilities to keep the 1 or 2 we still have alive healthy. Even though our trout tank wasn’t successful, we should keep working hard and not let that stop us for other opportunities, such as quail. We have all done a wonderful job, and keep up the good work.
    Sincerely,
    Kiersten Schafer

2. Dear Michael,

We really need to get this presentation done. We need to start working on the filter with Gabriella and Gina. I hope we can get this done before Tuesday.

Sincerely,
    Kiersten Schafer

3. Dear Mr. Miller and Peers involved in trout,
    I think we are all doing a good job with internal and external parts of the trout. I think this trout project will be loads of fun. We will need to work very hard as well. We should all be ready for whatever comes our way.

Sincerely,
    Kiersten Schafer

4. Dear Mr. Miller,
    I want to help raise the trout. I want to come up to the classroom at lunch if that’s
    Ok.

Sincerely,
    Kiersten Schafer

1. Dear Kiersten,

You are more than welcome to attend Challenge Sessions to advance your understanding on particular concepts. However, for attendance at the lunch sessions, you will need a note from your parents granting you permission to attend those sessions during your lunch period.

Sincerely,
      Mr. Miller

5. Dear Issac , Kevin and Katherine,
    On Friday when we saw the empty buckets I think that made us all worried that we did something wrong. Well , I think we should not give them extra food because it may look like they are eating the food however it could just be sinking. I would recommend vacuuming the tank because it was the weekend so there could be problems.

Sincerely,
    Emma Horgan

6. Dear Kevin, Thank you for letting Cierra,Skylar and I use the vacuum to suck up the fungus in the trout tank. As you seen there was fungus sticking to the gravel. During recess Cierra,Skylar and I used the vacuum we got a lot of fungus and there is still a lot of fungus in the tank. We feed the trout only one time today.

7. Deer peers,

I wasn’t able to go on the trout release because I broke my foot and I can’t walk threw mud. I have a question about the trout release. How tall was the tallest tree there ?

8. Dear Devin and Nick,
    Thank you for coming to our classroom and teaching us about Laws Of Motoin. You did fantastic on your presentation. You can improve by having an introduction because if
    my teacher did not tell us what you were teaching us we would not know what that was about. This is what was done well: Your eye contact was amazing because you were looking at us the whole time. I like how you had the two chairs and a string.Then you had two people sit on the chair . Then you had the balloons to see how how far they would go. I like how you did not cut eachother off when you were talking.I think your presentation had a lot of knowledge.Your voices were loud and clear so we can understand what you are saying. Sincerely, Thomas Kelly

9. Dear Mr. Miller,
    I have a question about macroinvertebrates.How are macroinvertebrates and invertebrates different?I am asking this question because when I was on the blog it said that macroinvertebrates are animals without backbones. Last year in fourth grade I learned that animals without backbones are called invertebrates and animals with backbones are vertebrates.
    Sincerely,
    Olina Zheng

1. Dear Olina,

I would suggest that you distinguish the differences between the prefixes macro and micro; that might help to deepen your understanding of macro- invertebrates. Continue the outstanding work and enjoy your holiday break.

Sincerely,
      Mr. Miller

10. Dear Mr.Miller,

I would like to join trout because i think it would be intresting to learn about fish and how they live.In addition I would like to join trout because I would like to know more about the different types of fish there are in the world.

Sincerely,
    Isabella Ortiz

11. Dear,Mr.Miller

I want to be in trout because I’ve been with animals my whole life and I know how to take care of them.I know I have made mistakes and I’ll make up and learn my lesson. Things that are difficult to me are fun.From the start we both know I will be a leader from when you say its a go.Fish are one of my favorites so I know how to treat them.Ive been fasinated by animals my whole life!

Sincerly,Isaiah

1. Dear Mr.Miller,

In my passed respons to Mr.Miller I made some mistakes like Dear,Mr.Miller and Sincerely,Isaiah but its really Dear Mr.Miller, and Sincerely,
      Isaiah

1. Dear Peers,
        In my past responses to Mr.Miller to correct my responses I made mojor mistakes and the first one is Dear,Mr.Miller then Sincerely,Isaiah then in my response to correct that I made the mistake of respons and forgot sincerely.
        Sincerely,
        Isaiah

1. Dear Isaiah,
          I noticed that you have made quite a bit of mistakes in your past few responses. On your third response you spelled major incorrectly. I suggest that you should look at the blog response page.
          Sincerely,
          Olina Zheng

12. Dear Mr.Miller,

I would like to join trout.As a little girl I was fascinated with animals.When I was a little girl I had a lot of animals.I do not know much about trout fish.Learning about trout fish would not only be great for me it would also be great for my dad.Like learning how to set up the filter and learning how to clean the filter.This would help my dad because he wouldn’t have to clean the filter all the time.Me joining trout is a great opportunity for me to increase my knowledge .I will be very exited watching the process of the trout fish growing.Overall I am very exited to learn and see the process of the trout fish and learning about the trout fish for example i would learn about there size and perhaps there habitat.It would be a great pleasure be in trout and to learn new fascinating stuff about trouts.

Sincerely ,
    Sabina Espinoza

13. Dear Trout group,
    If you want to learn the internal parts of trout I suggest you to utilize the internal trout PDF. It includes facts about the internal parts of trout and gives you a understanding of the internal parts of trout. I was on the PDF to get a better understanding of the internal parts of trout. I think that it is a useful link to help you understand.
    Sincerely,
    Olina

14. Dear Mr.Miller,
    The reasons I want to join trout are compact. One reason I want to join trout is that I like doing hard work. I like doing hard work because I like to challenge myself all the time. Trout are interesting creatures so I want to learn more about them. Justin told me that it is super hard, and since it is in your class, it obviously is hard. I respect doing hard work.

Sincerly,
    Ohm Patel

15. Dear Mr. Miller,
    I would like to join the trout group. I no that it is a little late in the year to join, but I am joining now because I want to learn about fish and how to raise them, so that if I ever get a fish I would already know how to set up the filter, the tank, and so much more. Also, when I was a little kid back in Florida, I would go on my dad’s boat and watch him fish, and ever since then I’ve been wondering about the fish that he caught and what they were called, and by me joining the trout group it would teach me all about that. Also, I would be learning about trout and how they develop and much more. Raising trout will be a very fun and educational experience for me. In conclusion, I should be in trout because it will improve my education on many things.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony Jean-Baptiste

16. Dear Devin,
    Thank you for correcting my grammar. It will definitely be useful for next time .
    Sincerely,
    Elizabeth

17. Dear Mr. Miller
    I am very interested in joining trout for the remainder of the year. I had alot of fish growing up as a little kid, and it was fun feeding them and helping my dad with the filter. Trout seem like a very interesting type of fish, especially after I have just read the Brook Trout document that you have given to the class. I am excited to learn about pH, the chiller, the filter, and lots more!
    Sincerely,
    Nick Barbieri

18. Dear Elizabeth,
    When you were answering Jacob’s question on “How big are the trout when they hatch”and then said “When Jacob asked his question I didn’t know the answer ether that why I wrote to the Trout group and not Jacob. When you stated that “I didn’t know the answer ether that why I wrote to the Trout group and not Jacob”. In that sentence you should change “that” to that’s.

Sincerely,
    Devin

19. Dear peers in trout group,
    I forgot to add to my blog post. In class I heard Jacob ask ” how big are the trout when they hatch. The answer would be 3/4 inch to 1 inch. When Jacob asked his question I didn’t know the answer ether that why I wrote it to the trout group and not Jacob.
    Sincerely,
    Elizabeth

20. Dear peers in trout group,
    I would like to add to what I said yesterday. I didn’t include what internal and external means. Internal means the inside of something. External means the outside of something. For an example the gills on the outside of the fish would be external. The heart of the fish would be internal.
    Sincerely,
    Elizabeth

21. Dear peers in trout group,
    There is chance we are getting the trout tomorrow and we to know what transparent, translucent and opaque means. If you were wondering what those word mean since there is no link on the words. Transparent mean you can clearly see through the egged eye. For an example a window is transparent. The word translucent means when you look at something it looks cloudy. For an example when clouds are starting to break apart they are translucent. Opaque means when you can’t see through it at all. For an example a wall or a table are opaque. At one point you should be able to distinguish the difference between opaque, transparent and translucent. Also like olina said you might want to check out the links for internal and external. I would suggest to print out the diagram on the external and internal parts of the trout because at one point you will need to know this information.
    Sincerely,
    Elizabeth
    P.S:Trout people I would like to hear your feed back on my information and see if my information I posted was accurate.

22. Dear trout group,
    Since we are going to have to know the external and internal parts of trout there is a link that is about the internal and external parts of trout. The link is on trout and if you scroll down you would find it. I hope the link helps you with the parts of trout.
    Sincerely ,
    Olina Zheng

23. Dear peers in trout ,
    I was watching the pH from the people last year in trout . At the end they ask these questions like what is the word potenz mean, what language the word potenz is and what does [-OH] stand for. The word potenz means power. The word potenz is a German word. [-OH] stand for negative hydroxide.
    Sincerely,
    Elizabeth Suda

1. Dear, Elizabeth
      I would like to add on to what you said and say, that the way they asked questions at the end was great! But I would also like to recongize the way that they used the graph off numbers. I think it was clever the way they used it to show the amount of pH.

24. Dear peers in the trout group,
    Bull trout can only live in fresh and cold water. The brook trout can live in fresh and salt water.
    Bull trout are sensitive to the changes in the water temperatures. I found all my facts on the link stream explorers. I hope this information is useful and can help you
    Sincerely,
    Elizabeth

25. Dear peers in the trout group,
    The trout we are raising known as brook trout live part in fresh water and live part in salt water. These brook trout are known as salters.
    Sincerely,
    Elizabeth

26. Dear Mr.Miller,
    I would like to join the trout group because I think that it would benefit me as a student. Also I used to have three fish so I know all about fish. I would also like to learn about the trouts life cycle.
    Sincerely,
    Jordan Reyes-Wade

27. Dear Mr. Miller,
    Fishing is one of my favorite hobbies. My dad and I go fishing often. I started fishing with my dad at four year’s old and he showed me pictures of myself on our boat when I was so little. I went on my first Cod fishing trip when I was six year’s old in Montauk on a big boat called the Viking Star. I enjoy saltwater and freshwater fishing. From your website about Trout, I’ve learned that there are so many different types of Trout in the U.S. They live in streams and rivers in different parts of our Country. Its really interesting to me that when Trout lays their eggs, the water temperature determines when the eggs hatch into frys! Awesome! Trout feed on little insects, small animals and tiny fish and when they grow up, their sense of smell and eyesight is amazing, and they can even remember the exact spot where they were born! I love it! The Stripe Bass can survive in either fresh or saltwater which is pretty amazing! I would be really happy to help you raise Trout for our class!

Sincerely,
    Bobby Grant

28. Dear Mr. Miller,

I would like to join the trout group because it will be interesting and fun to learn about there life cycle and how they grow.

Sincerely,
    Devin Andrade

29. Dear, Miller
    I will love to raise Trout but I want to do it in the afternoon is that ok to you. Thankyou so much Mr.Miller see you Friday.

30. Dear Mr. Miller,
    This year I would like to participate in raising trout because I would love to see the life cycle of trout from eggs and learn lots about what they eat, how they survive and if they would live very long. So that’s why I express interest in raising trout

Sincerely, Jacob

31. Dear Mr.Miller

I would like to help raise trout. Unfortunately I can’t make it to extra help in the morning but I am available in the afternoon.

32. Dear Mr. Miller,

In my last comment, I forgot to include the links to the pictures I found so I can print them out at the library.
    The links are http://www.fws.gov/news/blog/index.cfm/2011/6/1/Tennessee-Joint-Venture-Strives-to-Determine-the-Effects-of-Climate-Change-on-Brook-Trout and http://winchestertu.org/trout-in-the-classroom. I am just posting these links so that I can find the pictures for when I print them out.

Sincerely,
    Samuel Lorenzo

33. Dear Mr. Miler,

Over the weekend I finished constructing my Trout release poetry. My flash drive and printer are broken, so I wanted to see if you could approve it and I could copy/paste and print it out in the library. So, my poem is:

Oyster Bay Trout Release Poetry

A After raising Trout for most of the school year,
    A Today they left the tank without fear.
    B We released our Trout today,
    B In a town called Oyster Bay.

C We released them in a stream,
    C That was very clear and clean.
    D Right away, they fought the current,
    D After that, ours they weren’t.

E Away they swam, those 2½ inch Trout,
    E We had done a decent job, without a doubt.
    F To raise them, more people definitely could’ve aided,
    F But we did a good job, I wish we could get graded.

G Today we were stewards to the environment,
    G And helping out was the only requirement.
    H We’ve made a contribution to society,
    H Although we only raised one of Trout’s varieties.

I We did much better than nature’s odds,
    I Soon, they will be swimming to a pond.
    J Out of 450, 101 survived,
    J I wonder, by adulthood, how many will stay alive?

Sincerely,
    Sam Lorenzo

1. Dear Sam,

A well formulated grouping of stanzas; they certainly provide a clear account of the Trout in the Classroom experience. Thank you for sharing.

Sincerely,
      Mr. Miller

2. Dear Sam,
      I read your poem and in your rhyming you put: “We did much better than natures odds,Soon,they will be swimming in a pond.”I believe odds and pond rhyme.

Sincerely,
      Benjamin Katz

34. Dear Peers and Mr. Miller,

I just got (came) back from the Wetlands at Fish Thicket. The first thing I acknowledged was the huge leaves. I certainly noticed a change from the rest of the (fourth) environment. Then, my dad and I tied a water bottle to a stick so we could get to the water easily. I took a pH test and acquired a result of 6.2, which is acidic. I will take the rest of the water from the bottle I mentioned earlier to school, where we can take Ammonia tests, Nitrite tests, and Nitrate tests.
    P.S.: The water bottle was clean, not found on the ground.

Sincerely,Sam

35. Dear Mr. Miller,
    Fish Thicket was an amazing and fun experience for me. I took away many things. First of all, I had no idea what a soil sample was and I didn’t know how to do it. After Fish Thicket, I learned how a soil sample works and how you could identify the layers of soil. Also, I learned about many different types of birds. One bird was the American Woodcock. Another thing I learned was the weathering and erosion. I had never acknowledged weathering or erosion. So that was a big advantage for me when you showed my group the examples of erosion. Another thing that I took away was the lichens. I had no idea that there were so many types of lichens. It was also cool to identify types of lichens. What I am trying to say is that I learned a lot from Fish Thicket and I would like to thank you for including me on the trip.
    Sincerely,
    Sean

36. Dear Mr.Miller,
    I believe our feild trip to Fish Thicket was very valuable to me and hopefully other students too.I believe going there was a great experience to help us understand what Swan Lake will be like. At first,I had a good understanding of what a lichen was but actually finding them really was beneficial to me.My group was able to determine we were in a intermediate enviorment due to the lichens we saw.Also,I didn’t really know how we were going to find the birds,such as the American Woodcock but because of listening closley my group had located one.So I firmly beleive our feild trip to Fish Thicket was very valuable for a variety of reasons.
    Sincerely,
    Samantha Horgan

37. Dear fellow trout peers,
    We are focused in on the gills of the trout and how they breathe. When I was reading about this I came across a question. My question was, why does cold water have more dissolved oxygen than warm water? I reaserched this question and found a website that will be very helpful during our trout study. The link is http://www.mostreamteam.org.
    Sincerely,
    Sean

38. Dear Mr.Miller,
    I watched the video about pH and I have the answers to the questions they asked. For number 1 (what does potenz mean?) my answer is potenz means power in German. For number 2 (what language does potenz come from?) the answer is potenz is a German word.Finally for number 3 (what does (OH-) stand for?) the answer is (OH-) stands for negative hydroxide.

Sincerely,
    Isabelle Baginski

39. Dear Mr. Miller,
    What kind (species) of fish will we get in the other tank?
    Sincerely,
    Samuel Lorenzo

1. Dear Samuel,

It is my expectation that we will introduce a species of Carp in the 75 gallon tank.

Sincerely,
      Mr. Miller

40. Dear Isabelle,
    The Trout video is all the way on the bottom of the Trout page, labeled Trout Presentation: pH. The problem is that on some computers, such as a Mac.My family’s Dell computer doesn’t work either. I believe that might be your problem.
    Sincerely,
    Samuel Lorenzo

1. Dear Isabelle,
      I wrote a sentence incorrectly in my comment explaining how to get to the presentation. The correct sentence should be: “The problem is that it only works on some computers, such as a Mac.”
      Sincerely,
      Samuel Lorenzo

41. Dear Mr. Miller or anyone who can help,

I can’t seem to find the Trout video please try and reply.
    Thank you.

Sincerely,
    Isabelle Baginski

1. Dear Isabelle and any other peers who need help,
      The trout video is under “Life Stages Of The Rainbow Trout”. Then you will see the presentation.
      Sincerely,
      Gianna Sacco

42. Dear Mr. Miller,
    I looked up a couple of very interesting facts about the Trout. My favorite was one that talked about Brook Trout changing colors during spawning season. Are we going to be able to witness that?
    Sincerely,
    Samuel Lorenzo

43. Dear Mr.Miller,
    I watched the pH presentation.
    I believe the answers to the pH presentation are:
    1. Power
    2. German
    3. One hydroxyl ion

44. Dear Mr. Miller,
    I really enjoyed learning about the water chemistry this morning and I will try my best to show up at extra help on Monday. I would be very happy to work with the Trout.
    Sincerely,
    Samuel Lorenzo

45. Dear Mr. Miller,
    I just looked at the pages on Trout and I found it very interesting. What kind of Trout do we get? I like them all but I think the Rainbow Trout and Golden Rainbow Trout look the coolest. I will see you tomorrow.

1. Dear Mr.Miller, The pages all about the trout is very interesting.I was wondering to what kind of Trout do we get?