Learning Opportunities at Home

Week of September 13th,  2021

Learning Opportunities Breakdown

Reading / Language Arts

Read for thirty minutes. 

RAZ Kids: At a minimum, one book and quiz completed a week.  

Suggested: Cursive Handwriting Practice if Applicable.

Math

Study your multiplication tables. (Use link to practice.)

Complete the following problem in your calculations section:

Two-hundred eleven multiplied by twenty.

Suggested:

Suggested: 

Social Studies

Go to Microsoft Teams and read the slides regarding the Star-Spangled Banner (Tuesday, September 14th post).

(Suggested assignments) are posted to provide opportunities to delve further into topics introduced in class.

Science / Design Thinking

Suggested: Question to Ponder 🤔. (Yearlong investigation)

How is necessity the mother of invention ? 

Suggestion: Creating flashcards can assist in developing your study skills.

Resources

MyMath

Cignition

Newsela

Glogster

Election Overview

States and Capitals:  Map

States and Capitals:  Tutorial

Presidents of the United States: List

Science Fusion Digital Text

R.A.Z. Kids

Learn Zillion (utilize the search box for your inquiries.)

MathAids

Speech

Extra- Help / Challenge Sessions are offered each day at 8:05, unless otherwise announced.

Stock Market Game

Geography Club

Newspaper

Lawyers and Judges

76 thoughts on “Learning Opportunities at Home

1. Dear Mr. Miller

I have developed an understanding of matter.I would like to show you you my understanding of matter tomorrow in cognitiveunderstandia. I also have developed a metacognition page on the vocabulary words in the book matter all around.

Sincerely,
    Angelina Greytak

1. Dear Angelina,

Continue putting forth a diligent effort and you will make great strides in your understanding.

Sincerely,
      Mr. Miller

1. Dear Mr.Miller

I will continue to put forth a diligent effort and hope I will make great strides in my understanding. Also, Thank you for the courage that you gave me.

Sincerely. Angelina Greytak

2. Dear Mr. Miller,

I had noticed that when you were explaining Roanoke to the class you had stated that there one hundred settlers. However in the Social Studies Alive Text book on page seventy three paragraph three sentence one it had stated that there was one hundred five settlers. So I was wondering which Amount of settlers was correct.

Sincerely, Yousef

1. Dear Yousef,

During my introduction to this interesting event in history, I explained that the Roanoke colony had 117 settlers.

Sincerely,
      Mr. Miller

3. Dear Mr. Miller:
    I had one question about the cell theory reading we are supposed to read. I found there is a problem in paragraph 2. I’m not sure if I’m supposed to write the problem I found in case you did the problem on purpose. Thank you for taking your time reading this long comment.

Sincerely,
    Michael

P.S. please respond Mr. Miller soon if I’m supposed to type tha problem.

4. Dear Mr.Miller,
    Last week I realized I never completed one book and one quiz on Raz-Kids. Knowing that, I am wondering if I could do two books and two quizzes this week to make up for last week.

Sincerely,
    Gina Fox

5. Dear Mr. Miller,

You had challenged us to remember the first five presidents. I decided to go the extra mile on this and tell you the first ten! Here they are: Gorge Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe, John Quincy Adams, Andrew Jackson, Martin Van Buren,
    William Henry Harrison, and the tenth president is John Tyler. I hope I did well!

1. Dear Kiersten,

You continue to impress with your diligence. Thank you for your efforts in taking on the challenge and for being a leader when it comes to posting on the blog.

Sincerely,
      Mr. Miller

6. Dear Mr. Miller,

I was reading a book of mine and came across the words “tarred and feathered”, and it made me think of slaves for some reason. So, my question is, where slaves ever tarred or feathered by their master, other slaves or people?

Sincerely,
    Azlynn Long

1. Let’s think about it, there is a great possibility that it would happen , I mean slaves were treated unfairly so their master could have done that to them. But that is a great question and I believe you can go deeper into slavery and gain more information about it.

2. Let’s think about that. Didn’t slaves get abused in any type of way, yes so there is a great possibility of slaves getting teared and feather. The question you asked was great , I believe you should go deeper into the concept.

Sincerely,
      Tatianna Benjamin

7. Dear Mr.Miller,

On the top of the of the homework breakdown it still says that it is Thursday, November 23, 2017. Also since Mrs.Knussman give’s me homework I was wondering if I had to write the amount of time I spend on that.

Sincerely,
    Azlynn Long

8. Dear Mr Miller,
    I hope you had a good Harvesting Day
    I check on on how to make the vortex properly thank you
    for introducing me to this project also my hand got sprained but ill be in on Monday.

Sincerely,
    Amaan Sandal

9. Dear Mr.Miller,
    I just wanted to know how the quail are doing and if any others hatched.

Sincerely,
    Emma Horgan

10. Dear Peers,
    Today at school I think went very well! One word to describe the day would be collaborative because today we did collaborate when we had to finish our democracy interactive pages we had to work in a cohort.

Sincerely,
    Azlynn Long

11. Dear Mr.Miller,

I just learned that Aberham Lincon’s nickname is honest abe is that because he is always honest for everything he did wrong? And Hillery Clinton was born in October 26 1947.

p.s I will try to come to extra help on October 27 and by the way today is Hillery’s birthday.

Sincerely,
    Josiah.W

12. Dear Mr. Miller,

I would like to know how to do some suggested homework. For example, it says ” What are the three branches of the government ?”. Based on that question I would like to know, how we should present it ? Should we write it on an index card, present it to you in class or should we post it on the blog ?. Looking forward to your reply.

Sincerely ,
    Issac Varghese 😎😁

13. Dear Mr.Miller,
    I am so exited for tommorow. I have to ask you……what are the tanks? I also have to ask…when will we be doing concept map of new york?
    Sincerely,
    Madison.

14. Dear Mr.Miller,
    I am soooo super exited to do the concept map of new york. I am so sorry that i have left my new york book at home today. I thought i had everything with me before i left to go to school.Tommorow I will definitely check to see if i have everything. In good news,leaving that book at home gives me an extra night to read it again.Tommorow is a new day!

Sincerely,
    Madison

15. Dear Mr.Miller,
    I had a a great first two days at school and I know I will have a great year.

Sincerely,
    Amman Sandal

16. Dear Mr.Miller,
    We were so busy today I forgot to tell you it is my birthday today. I had a great 1st day. Have a wonderful night.
    Sincerely,
    Lilly

17. Dear Mr.Miller and Peers,

Today during class I didn’t acquire the chance of writing down a question or comment on what I have learned, so I am going to write in this post about the topic. I feel that while learning I came across a question. The question was ‘is there other things Thomas Jefferson did that he didn’t want to put on his grave’? This question came upon me prior to Mr. Miller teaching, and I would also like to hear if you guys came across other questions than what I did while learning.

18. Dear Scholars, ,
    Go to the presidents link above and you will come on the page for George Washington. There is a box to search and look up Frederick Douglass their is many links on him.
    Sincerely,
    Elizabeth

19. Dear Problem Solvers,
    I have found a link on Theodore Roosevelt. Simply go to the go to the homework page, then scroll down and press presidents: list, than it will take you to page about George Washington, directly to your left hand side there will be a list. On that list it will have a row that says presidents, press it. Then, scroll down and it will show you each presidents name and what centery they were president look for Theodore Roosevelt, he is the frst president of the 20th centery.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony Jean-Baptiste
    P.S
    Please respond back to me if this imformation was helpful via blog response or tomarrow during any freetime at school.

20. Dear Mr.Miller,

I have tried tonight to read pages 133-135 on T.C.I. of my social studies text book and could not find the page. If you can respond back the title of the section I could read those pages. Thank you if you do respond back to me the answer.

Sincerely,

Justin Schlendorf

1. Dear Justin,
      How you find the pages 133-135 is that you first have to log in. Once you log in there is a table of contents. You search for the title of the story which I believe is life of the colonist. Once you get on that page you could start reading and doing activities.
      Sincerely,
      Olina Zheng

21. Dear , Mr. Miller and Peers

I have recently looked on the TCI website for the assignments and found them, I clicked on the one due December 9th and it just said the title and lesson assigned. I would like to ask anyone how do I get to doing this assignment. Anyone who can reply to this and tell me how to get to the assignment it would be appreciated .
    Sincerely, Jacob Gabel

22. Dear peers,
    I know I haven’t written in a very long time, but I now can write, and I wanted to remind you all that the election is not about who wins but who has fun! Also another comment I wanted to make is to be really happy and positive when you write your speech because you want to show what you can do.

Sincerely,
    Makayla Amatuegwu

23. Dear Mr.Miller,

This week I feel that the class achieved many things this
    week. I think that this week it was lots of hard work. I have also
    learned a bunch of new things like how to multiply and divide using
    decimals. Another example would be like learning discriptuve language,
    sensory language and secondary sources. There is many more
    topics I have learned about this week but to keep it succinct those
    are the most important things I learned this week.

1. Dear Mr.Miller, Thank you for the geography and science page you put on the website it was really helpful and I was on it all night.Once again I want to say thank you.

1. Dear Jake,

I am pleased to know that you found value in the resource.

Sincerely,
        Mr. Miller

P.S. Make certain to follow the structure for posting a comment on the blog.
        structure

2. Dear Mr.Miller, I noticed on the homework page, I noticed that you forgot to put a space between lunch and on. Sincerely,
      Anthony Jean-Baptiste

1. Dear Anthony,

The word you are referring to is “luncheon” which is a formal word for lunch. Therefore, no space is placed between lunch and on. In addition, while I appreciate your diligence in posting a comment, I would ask that you make certain you review the blog response structure before submitting a post.

Sincerely,
        Mr. Miller

24. Dear Mr.Miller I will try to attend extra help tomorrow morning and more. I am very busy in the morning so I will really try to get there.

Sincerely,
    Makayla Amatuegwu

25. Dear Darien,

In the text when it stated “Alex Haley held the village’s babies”. I believe that it would still make sense because it is the babies of the village, or the village’s babies.

Sincerely,
    Isabelle Baginski

26. Dear Mr.Miller,
    I was rereading chapter 8 and I noticed on page 108 paragraph 2 it states that Alex Haley had held about 12 of the village’s babies.In that sentence shouldn’t it be 12 of the villager’s babies.
    Sincerely,
    Darien

27. Dear Mr.Miller,

When I was reading pages 102-104 of our Social Studies textbook I noticed a statement they made in the text. The statement was made on page 103 paragraph 3 seventh sentence and the statement is “Sharks followed the ships, feeding on the dead slaves who were thrown overboard”. I was wondering is that a form of figurative language? I believe that it is, and it is a metaphor because it is describing how often they throw slaves off the ships to be able to feed a shark, it is also describing the amount of people who become sick. So hopefully you can answer my question.

Sincerely,
    Isabelle Baginski

28. Dear Peers,
    I would like to give you a suggestion about the notes that we are taking about the slavery pages on 99 though page 101. I would suggest to divide your page into four sections, page 99, page 100, page 101.At the bottom will be the main idea of all that we have read about in those three pages. I wanted to share with you my idea of the notes so it can be helpful for you to study.
    Sincerely,
    Gianna Sacco

1. Dear Gianna,
      I concur with your method of doing the notes, but I believe there is a mistake in your comment. In the first sentence, you wrote “though” instead of “through”.
      Sincerely,
      Sam

29. Dear Fellow Peers,

When I was reading the paper Mr.Miller gave us for homework, it reminded me of something we learned in E.L.A. I remember in another document it stated, Andrew Jackson was president during the time of The Trail of Tears. He was the president who took The Cherokees land. Also, in the document it states in the paragraph about Texas that it was referred to as The Lone Star Republic,and the nickname for Texas now is The Lone Star state.So I hope this information was helpful and if you have any facts about the topic that wasn’t stated in the document please comment on the blog.
    Thank you.

Sincerely,
    Isabelle Baginski

1. Dear Isabelle,

Once again, I thank you for your diligence in providing your peers an opportunity to delve deeper into their understanding of the Erie Canal.

Sincerely,
      Mr. Miller

30. Dear Mr.Miller,

Thank you for answering my questions and I am very exited to join the Geography Club in March!

Sincerely,
    Isabelle Baginski

31. Dear class,
    I would like to apologize for how pack ups haven’t been going as smoothly as they need to be. I will do everything in my power to make sure it doesn’t happen again. Leaders,make sure you do your part and let the students do theirs.
    Sincerely,
    Julianna Tapler

32. Dear Isabelle,
    Thank you for all of the kind words. You did great as well! Everyone had great runs and you all did good in the field. Congrats on the win! You deserve it.

33. Dear Mr.Miller,

I have three questions for you my first question is when will be participate in the stock market games, my second question is when will we find out the question the scientists are doing in the Flame Challenge finally I am interested in the Geography Club when will you start looking for members?

Sincerely,
    Isabelle Baginski

1. Dear Isabelle,

Flame Challenge: February / March

Stock Market Game: Notes in two weeks.

Geography Club: March

Thank you for the questions. However, make certain you are utilizing punctuation.

Sincerely,
      Mr. Miller

34. Dear Class,

I would like to say good job in intramural’s today. Julianna those were some amazing dodges and Darien great runs those catches were awesome!And for the students who didn’t come please try and make it to our next intramural’s!

Sincerely,
    Isabelle Baginski

1. Dear Isabelle,
      I am not sure but I believe that there is a mistake in your comment. Nothing belongs to “intramural” so it would not be possessive and would be spelled “intramurals” not “intramural’s”.

35. Dear peers,
    I wanted to share a tip for the math homework with the double division and standard algorithm.It may be easier to do the standard algorithm first for what I had done because I had some trouble with the double division with my partner. If you chose to do the standard algorithm you will see what steps you will need for the double division.
    Sincerely,
    Gianna Sacco

36. Dear my fellow peers,

I would like to wish all of you good luck in the elections.Also,I would like to thank Gianna and Kiara for their amazing ideas Kiara I loved your poster and, Gianna I thought those mustaches were awesome I wish you two good luck,along with the rest of the class.

Sincerely,
    Isabelle Baginski

37. Dear Mr.Miller,

I watched the video on this page and it reminded me of what you said a couple days ago how a space craft got out of hibernation also how it’s on it’s way to Pluto the dwarf planet.

Sincerely,
    Isabelle Baginski

38. Dear Mr.Miller,

When I was studying in my Social Studies textbook I came across a chapter about the bill of rights.In the chapter it stated the amendments and on the first amendment it stated that we have a freedom of press,but you can’t write lies about someone.This information is from the text.However, in the elections some people said lies about thier opponents.Does that mean those people broke the law?I hope that you can answer my question as soon as you can.Thank you.

Sincerely,
    Isabelle Baginski

39. Dear Mr.Miller,
    I distinguished that by the ” Homework” picture the day states that yesterday was Friday, November 10th when yesterday was really Monday, November 10th.
    Sincerely,
    Gianna Sacco

40. Dear Mr.Miller,

Right now it is the 11th month on the 11th hour of the 11th day.So right now it is the day in history when Armistice Day was created.

Sincerely,
    Isabelle Baginski

P.S I hope you enjoy your Veterans Day!

41. To all my peers working on the States and Capitals quizzes,
    While I was studying my Capitals, I found a website that could help everybody to study. Follow the link and it will take you to a website where you can play games, do flash cards, and take quizzes on your capitals. The link is: http://quizlet.com/570764/us-capitals-flash-cards/.
    Sincerely,
    Sam

42. I would like to answer your question about the Jamestown colony.I feel what put Jamestown on the verge of failure is they built Jamestown on a marsh land.The negatives of that are the water is dirty and salty ,the land was not good for farming,and the mosquitoes carried a deadly disease.This is what I feel put Jamestown on the verge of the failure.

43. Dear Mr. Miller,

When I was reading the Scholastic News article and I found something that made made me ponder it said that in 1492 Christopher Columbus landed on North America but, in the notes you gave the class it stated that Christopher Columbus landed on South America.Did Christopher Columbus land on North or South America?Please try to respond to my question,thank you.

Sincerely,
    Isabelle Baginski

44. Dear Mr. Miller, I am trying to access to Learn Zillion but I can’t. Can you tell me how I can get access? I don’t have an account. Sincerely, Kevin Murillo

45. Dear Mr.Miller,

I just realized that I forgot to write “Sincerely,Isabelle Baginski”.

Sincerely,
    Isabelle Baginski

46. Dear Mr.Miller,

I saw today’s day in history and I didn’t know what the Erie Canal was, so I looked up the definition and it said a canal connects the Hudson River with Lake Erie but I still don’t completely understand what a canal.

1. Dear Isabelle,
      I believe that a canal is a passage in which boats and gondolas can pass through, but I’m not entirely sure.
      Sincerely,
      Sam

47. Dear Mr. Miller,
    I also wanted to get onto Castle Learning but I still have the account from last year. Is there a new login?

48. Dear Mr. Miller,
    I was trying to get onto RAZ Kids today and it said I needed to login. What is the username?
    Sincerely
    Sam

1. Dear Mr.Miller,
      Can this website help us with the math homework we have that night? Because i dont really understand the math. If i forget my math book i want to be able to go on the website on my dads computer or my sisters ipad. Because like you said giving up is not learning so i want to try my very beast to improve one more thing can you write this down in my planner or on a paper because i do not want to forget this website

Thank
      You!!!!

49. Dear Mr. Miller,
    Thank you for helping me learn the standard algorithm of multiplication. I will practice over the weekend and I look forward to seeing you again on Monday.
    Sincerely,
    Samuel Lorenzo